When compared to other web browsers, Google Chrome stands out. Creating bookmarks in Google Chrome is amongst one of the best ways that allow you to access essential links. Despite having great features, Google Chrome lacks the “Restore Bookmarks” option. This means that if you happen to delete your bookmarks by mistake, you would no longer be able to access them. It mainly happens due to accidental deletion or synchronization failure. Another reason behind lost bookmarks is either your Chrome fails to respond, and you try to solve the problem by removing your account. Well, no matter what is the reason, what’s important for you to know is that the loss of Chrome bookmarks happens more than you think. To recover the deleted bookmarks, you can proceed to the solutions covered ahead in this blog.
Here’s how To Restore Deleted Chrome Bookmarks On Mac
If you’re someone who uses a Mac computer, then, you can follow the below-given path to find your Chrome bookmark:
/Users/your username/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default.
Note: In general, the default folder is hidden. To view, you will need to enable hidden folders.
Solution 1: Recover Chrome Bookmarks on Windows with Backup Files
There’s a hidden backup file in Chrome for the bookmarks, which is overwritten on a regular basis. You can recover deleted Chrome bookmarks with this backup file. You can do this manually by following the below-given steps:
- Make sure to close all the opened tabs after you have lost your bookmarks.
- Open Windows Explorer and type in the following path in the text field:
Here, replace NAME with your Windows user account.
- There, you will see both Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files. Try to rename the Bookmarks file to something like Bookmarks.old. Also, rename Bookmarks.bak to Bookmarks.
- Again, open Google Chrome and it will display your deleted bookmarks.
Solution 2: Recover Chrome Bookmarks with DNS Cache
If you lost the Chrome bookmarks after updating the browser, then the DNS Cache can be of great help. To recover Chrome bookmarks with DNS Cache, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Simultaneously press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- There, type CMD in the Windows search bar, and click OK.
- Open Command Prompt, input ipcongif /displaydns and press the Enter key.
- It will display all the websites that you have recently visited. You can browse them and set them as favorites/bookmarks in Chrome again.
Solution 3: By using data recovery for Mac software
There might be times when the Time Machine method won’t help you restore Chrome bookmarks on Mac. What happens is the bookmarks and bookmarks.bak files may not exist or you cannot locate them. Now, you might be looking for a solution that can help you recover lost chrome bookmarks. One such solution is the Stellar Data Recovery for Mac. It helps you recover deleted Chrome bookmarks in macOS Big Sur, Catalina, and lower versions. For this, you have to first download the stellar software and then, proceed with the below-given steps to recover Chrome bookmarks in Mac.
- Once downloaded, launch the Stellar Data Recovery software and select what you want to recover.
- After that, select the storage location that you want to scan. If required, you may enable the Deep Scan to recover every data.
- Further, click on Scan to begin the scanning process.
- Once the scan process completes, the software displays the recoverable bookmarks on the left pane.
- Then, navigate to the files and folders by simply scrolling and clicking on them.
- Moving ahead, click on Deleted List to check the deleted files.
- Right after that, preview and select the bookmark files that you want to recover.
- Once selected, you have to click on the Recover option.
- It will display a pop-up window that will ask you to select the location where you want to save the bookmarks file. You may follow this file path:
- Macintosh HD > Users > Username Library > Application Support > Google > Chrome > Default
- At last, restore Chrome bookmarks in Mac by saving the bookmarks file in the Default folder.
By now, you would have understood that it’s quite easy to recover delete Chrome bookmarks on Mac only if you know the way. If done correctly, you won’t face any complications while recovering deleted bookmarks. But, if you fail to locate the bookmarks by following the above-listed methods, you can try using the Stellar Data Recovery for Mac software. It will help you recover deleted Chrome bookmarks in Mac.